Legal Framework and Terminology

In the early nineteenth century the sale of alcoholic drinks was extensively regulated both for the purpose of social control and as a form of taxation. Someone wishing to establish a house where alcoholic drinks were sold needed first to obtain (often with difficulty) a licence from the justices of the peace and then a licence from the commissioners of excise. Most of the licences related to the sale of beer; additional licences at increased cost were needed for the sale of wine and spirits. Licences had to be renewed annually, normally at special meetings of the justices, often referred to as “brewster sessions”.

The licensed buildings might be described as “public houses” or “taverns” or, if food was also sold “victualling houses” or, if food, sleeping accommodation (and usually stabling) were provided “inns”. These terms did not affect the licensing requirements but “inn” was a common law term and there was a wealth of case law, dealing, for example, with the extent to which innkeepers could refuse to serve customers. The word “hotel” did not itself have any legal significance but was increasingly used by innkeepers to suggest high quality accommodation; conversely “temperance hotel” indicated that the establishment was unlicensed. The older term for a public house, “alehouse”, was still in fairly common use in the first half of the nineteenth century.

Collectively the occupiers of licensed premises usually referred to themselves as “licensed victuallers”.11. “A Licensed Victuallers Protection Society is … being established in Louth …” (Mercury 29.3.1839) Individually they were mostly “publicans”, but often called themselves (eg in census returns) “innkeepers”, even when their premises were not technically inns.

By longstanding convention nearly all licensed premises were named (eg “Red Lion”), though this was not a legal requirement.

Louth’s Inns and Public Houses

Inns and public houses were of considerable economic importance and are of particular interest to users of the rating lists, since their location is normally known and they therefore constituted identifiable points of reference in the unnumbered streets.

It is not always easy to trace the history of public houses, because of changes of name. A baseline, 1782, for Louth is provided by Goulding 1903. Goulding used manuscripts that appear to be no longer extant, principally a “book of Recognizances of Innholders and their sureties for keeping good order…”. Before 1782 there is no adequate information: the earlier rating lists did not identify public houses and there are few press references. In 1782 there were 25 licensed establishments. In 1823 the number was still 25, even though in the intervening 40 years the population of Louth had nearly doubled.

Table 1 shows the inns and public houses dealt with in the rating lists. Table 2 gives supplementary information about changes.

TABLE 1 INNS AND PUBLIC HOUSES COVERED BY THE RATING LISTS
Ref Name Street New Value R1823 £ New RV in R1838 £ Old RV in R1851 £
231458 Black Bull* Upgate 14 40 40
230009 Black Horse* Aswell Lane 15 34 34
231467 Blue Stone Upgate 18 36 36
231098 Boar’s Head Newmarket 17 40 41
230980 Crown and Wool-packs* Market Place 26.5 63 63
230921 Fleece* Market Place 50 108 108
511154 George Gospelgate n/a n/a 28
231519 Greyhound* Upgate 18 50 54
230346 Jolly Sailor* Eastgate 18.5 38 38
230260 Marquis of Granby* Eastgate 20 46.5 46.5
230987 Mason’s Arms* Market Place 40 84 84
230848 New King’s Head* Mercer Row 50 108 139
230962 New Rein Deer* Market Place 22 50 50
230850 Old Rein Deer* Mercer Row 16 31 38
230322 Pack Horse* Eastgate 25 56 56
230019 Red Lion* Aswell Lane 20 36 29
231576 Rising Sun* Walkergate 14 31 31
231443 Royal Oak* Upgate 15 38 38
380480 Shades Eastgate n/a 20 20
231380 Ship* River Head 14 28 28.5
230266 Ship and Horns* Eastgate 12 25 26
231512 Three Tuns Upgate 16 36 36
230001 Turks Head* Aswell Lane 18 43.5 43.5
230969 Waterloo Market Place 12 n/a n/a
231829 Wheat Sheaf* Westgate 17 36 36
230289 White Swan* Eastgate 15 31.5 31.5
380610 Woodman Eastgate n/a 18 19.5
231384 Wool-packs* River Head 19 40 44
Total rateable value of licensed premises £522 £1,167.5 £1,238.5
The 1851 figures are those of the old rating list because the revised rateable values were calculated on a different basis.
*The pubs asterisked were already licensed in 1782, though not always with the same name.

Since R1823 gave half values, the 1838 values might be expected to be approximately double. The large increases 1823-1838 at the Black Bull and the Greyhound suggest building improvements. In 1851 the increase in the valuation of the King’s Head reflected a substantial enlargement in 1839.22. See Mercury 16.8.1839. The licensee, George Willoughby, practised as an architect and the owner, Stephen Gray, was a wealthy merchant and investor.

TABLE 2 SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION
Pubs de-licensed before 1823
Blue Stone Inn Mercer Row & Upgate Probably Louth’s largest inn at the end of the eighteenth century but badly run33. See John Byng, a visitor in 1791: “the worst inn we have enter’d”: Torrington Diaries vol 2 p 385. and de-licensed by 1801; part of premises formed Three Tuns: see below. The 1861 census showed that the former premises then comprised a bookshop with access from Mercer Row, a tobacconist’s shop and Three Tuns, both with access from Upgate.
Golden Ball Location unknown Last licensed 1793.
King of Prussia Westgate Last licensed 1787. “… a very small thatched public house at the end of Westgate; being the last house on the north side”.44. General Loft’s Lincolnshire Notes item 304.
Queen’s Head Bridge Street Last recorded as a pub 1794; redeveloped by 1808.55. Mercury 24.10.1794 (sale advert), 12.8.1808 (newly erected house) (In the 1850s the name was revived for a beerhouse, which may have been the house recorded in 1808.)
Pubs not yet licensed in 1782 but first licensed before 1851
Blue Stone [tavern] Upgate First licensed 1809, initially as Trafalgar but name quickly changed.
Boar’s Head Newmarket First licensed 1802, when pig and sheep market moved from Upgate to the Quarry.
George Gospelgate Operated as a public house 1844-54. For some years before and after it was an off-licence. (Not to be confused with a different “George Inn”, 28 Upgate, licensed 1865 but closed by 1881.)
Shades Eastgate R1838 had first reference but without name, which first appeared in Pigot’s 1841 directory. Other names sometimes used: “Board” 1842; “Old Dram Shop” 1849.
Three Tuns Upgate First licensed 1802: see Blue Stone Inn above.
Waterloo Market Place This small public house appeared in advertisements in the period 1819–1832.
Woodman Eastgate Originally a beerhouse but licensed as a public house by 1838.
Some alternative names
Blackmoor’s Head Aswell Lane Former name of Red Lion.
Bricklayers’ Arms Market Place Former name of Mason’s Arms; changed in 1801.
Joiner’s Arms Bridge Street Former name of Queen’s Head.
Old King’s Head Market Place Goulding suggested that Old King’s Head had been demolished in 1788 when New Street was constructed; but any demolition must only have been partial. A sale advertisement in 1813 makes the position clear: ” the Crown and Woolpacks Inn … heretofore known by the sign of the Old King’s Head and afterwards by the name of the New Inn.” The last advertisement reference to the OKH was in 1789, the first to the NI was in 1791 and the first to the C&W in 1807.66. Mercury 17.4.1789, 7.1.1791, 13.11.1807, 19.3.1813. The initial change was probably a form of advertisement for the adjoining New Street, still so named, that the inn’s owner, William Dunn, was constructing.
White Hart Aswell Lane New name given to Red Lion c 1849; entry in R1851 was out of date. (Name changed to Forester’s Arms 1864; later reverted to White Hart.)

(Most of the establishments listed in table 1 are no longer pubs but over half of the buildings still exist. For many of them modern photographs can be found by searching the ” Online Collections” database on Louth Museum’s website, which in some cases also has photographs dating from the nineteenth century.)

The Wholesome Beverage: Beerhouses

From 1830 the position was radically changed by the Beerhouse Act 1830.77. This official short title was given by the Short Titles Act 1896. Previously the act was often referred to as the “Beer Act” or some similar unofficial name. This was associated with a reduction in the taxation of beer, which may have been the most popular reform of the brief and unsuccessful premiership of the Duke of Wellington. The intention (as explained by a member of Wellington’s cabinet) was to give “the poor man a cheaper drink” and to “encourage the consumption of a wholesome beverage amongst the poor and discourage that of intoxicating liquors” [mainly gin, the duty on which had been reduced in 1825]88. Lord Ellenborough, speaking at the committee stage of the bill: The Times 9.7.1830. Numerous petitions were presented against the bill by publicans, who did not want the competition.Beerhouses were licensed for the sale of beer but not wine or spirits. “Licensed” in this context means having an annual excise licence, which was easy to obtain and, when first introduced, cost only £2 2s. The key point was that the approval of the licensing justices was not needed. Beerhouses were often referred to as “beer shops” or “Tom and Jerry shops”, a name derived from a magazine popular in the 1820s.99. For example: “Chas. Johnson, keeper of a Tom and Jerry in Maiden Row, charged by police-constable McDonald with having interrupted him in the execution of his duty, was discharged on promising not to offend again.” (Mercury 16.10.1840)

Wellington had rejected suggestions that the beerhouses would lead to more drunkenness and crime; but these predictions appeared to be well-founded.1010. In 1833 the chairman of Lindsey Quarter Sessions identified three principal causes of increased crime: vagrants, poachers and beerhouses (Mercury 18.4.1833). To alleviate this the Beerhouse Act 1834 required licensees to produce annually a certificate of good character signed by six ratepayers that occupied houses or other premises rated at £6 or more. The limited scope of this safeguard was illustrated in Louth by Mary Crashley (c 1788–1874), who kept a beerhouse in Walkergate. Press reports indicate that her first conviction for harbouring prostitutes was in 1842 and her last such conviction in 1867. 1111. Mercury 11.2.1842; Chronicle 20.12.1867. Presumably her annual certificates of good character were signed by the more prosperous customers of the prostitutes; the prostitutes themselves would not have occupied houses rated as high as £6.

Beerhouses were not identified as such in R1838 and most were not in R1851. It is impossible to say how many there were in Louth at any given date, because many licences seem to have been taken out only for short periods. The directories provided a rough guide by listing “retailers of beer”; the 24 listed in Pigot 1835 may be compared with 28 listed in Pigot 1841; but only eight names appeared on both lists. A better indication of numbers can be provided for the year 1851; details are given in the appendix below.

Running a beerhouse might not be easy money: in 1837, when considering cases at the insolvent debtors court in Lincoln Castle, the Commissioner remarked that “wherever he went, this retailing of beer was bringing numbers of infatuated men to ruin”.1212. Mercury 32.3.1837. Press reports sometimes confused beerhouses with public houses, particularly as beerhouse keepers soon began to give their houses names like those of public houses (eg Mary Crashley called her disreputable establishment “The Ploughboy”). Beerhouses were occasionally promoted to public house status; the only one to succeed in Louth before 1851 was William Jenney’s beerhouse in Eastgate, which had become a public house, shown as the Woodman in R1838.1313. The building was described as “old and dilapidated” in 1859, and also as “a low public house… a place of resort for loose characters and convicted persons” (Advertiser 14.5.1859 and 8.10.1859).

The golden age of beerhouses ended in 1869, when the Wine and Beerhouse Act 1869 brought them under the control of the licensing justices. This entailed a more searching inquiry into the character of the licensee and also consideration of the suitability of the premises. Thereafter the distinction between beerhouses and public houses was less important, though beerhouses continued throughout the nineteenth century.

Some beerhouses operated as off-licences. Beer was also sold by wholesalers, sometimes called “porter merchants”, who sold beer in a minimum quantity of five gallons. Often they were also wholesalers of wine and spirits; but “down to 1861, unless a householder wanted at least two gallons of spirits, he had no choice but to send his servant to the public house.”1414. Dowell 1888 Vol IV p 209.Brewing beer was widely regarded as an ordinary domestic activity, as noted by Anthony Trollope in 1881.1515. “I can bake and I can brew./ I can cook an Irish stew./ Wash a shirt and iron it too.” See Ayala’s Angel chapter 18 (not one of Trollope’s better novels). Initially some of the beerhouses were merely ordinary small houses and may well have sold beer brewed on the premises. However, there were various changes in the legislation to introduce minimum rateable values. These do not seem to have been enforced in Louth until the changes made by the 1869 Act.

Effect of Beerhouses on Public Houses

Although Louth’s licensed victuallers complained about “the deterioration in value of established inns and public-houses”1616. Mercury 5.4.1839 the figures in table 1 above indicate that the introduction of beerhouses did not reduce either the number or the value of public houses in Louth. However, the business of selling alcohol may have become relatively less important. In 1823 the inns and public houses represented approximately 4.8% of the total rateable value of Louth, which compares with 4.3% in 1838 and 3.9% in 1851.

Appendix: Beerhouses in 1851

The year 1851 is a suitable one to examine beerhouses, because we have exceptionally good information: R1851, the 1851 census, two fairly reliable 1849 directories and an inferior 1851 directory. The following list comprises those beer sellers that are referred to in at least one of the directories and also can be identified in both the rating list and the 1851 census, from which the stated occupations are derived.

R1851 Licensee Directories# Old RV £ New RV £ Name Notes
511524 Badley William, Long Lane W 11 7 Probably just a shop. Badley also described himself as a publican, grocer and general dealer.
512666 Baldock Daniel, Upgate W 19 17 Lion (?) Baldock may have been primarily a horse dealer and had stables but no grazing land.
512056 Bee Thomas, Newmarket HKW 4 3.25 Bee was sawyer; the low RV suggests only minor sales of beer.
512959 Bratley Smith, Westgate HKW 7 5.25 Smith was butcher, apparently without a butcher’s shop.
512344 Chapman William, Riverhead HK 6.5 4.5 Chapman was sawyer (age 74); the beerhouse may have been run mainly by his widowed daughter.
512403 Clark William, Riverhead HKW 19 19.5 Lock Tavern Clark had previously been an agricultural labourer. Premises had RV only £6.5 in 1838 and so must have been rebuilt.
512893 Crashley Mrs. Mary, Walkergate KW 7.5 6.5 See main text.
511261 Dunham Thomas, James street KW 7 5.25 Dunham was an agricultural labourer; the low RV suggests only minor sales of beer.
512006 Gillot John, Newmarket* HKW 6.25 10 Brown Cow Gillot was by trade a painter but had various property and commercial interests. The sharp rise in RV indicates recent extension or rebuilding.
511184 Green William/ Mrs. Sarah, Padehole (on James St corner) HKW 8.5 7.5 Garibaldi Sarah ran the beerhouse; William was husband, possibly separated.
512888 Harrison James, Walkergate HKW 12.5 9 Bay Horse or Brown Horse Harrison was primarily a beerhouse keeper but also occupied 3 acre field, so may have had other interests.
511561 Johnson Charles, Maiden row (east side, opposite junction with Walkergate) HKW 11 9 Paul Pry
512297 Markham John, beer retailer, auctioneer, house agent, Ramsgate HKW 11.5 9 Railway Tavern The RV seems to reflect an amalgamation of two houses. Markham took out a licence for one of them in 1830 and by 1851 was the tenant of both. He also described himself as an auctioneer and house agent, but there is little evidence of these activities.
510026 Proctor William, Aswell Lane (East side)* HK 13 11.25 Proctor was a shoemaker by trade and selling beer may not have been his main activity in 1851 but he was licensee of the Black Horse public house from c 1855. new since 1838;
511539 Reece Anthony, Maiden Row (west side, south of junction with Walkergate) W 28.5 24 Globe This beerhouse was occupied by William Tuxworth in 1838, but he moved: see below.
512669 Thompson Geo, Upgate/South Street corner.* HKW 12 14.5 Plough Thompson was a shoemaker by trade. In 1838 he occupied a small house and workshop but was already selling beer as sideline. In 1851 he occupied much larger premises and beer selling was presumably his main activity.
510929 Towle John, Riverhead/Eastfield Road (but R1851 says Eastgate)* HK 12 14 Towle was a joiner and builder by trade; beer selling was probably just a sideline.
511585 Tuxworth William, beer retailer, Maiden Row (east side, just north of 511561)* HKW 12 13 Magpies The rise in RV indicates improvement.
512968 White Henry, grocer & beer retailer, Westgate* HK 10.5 9 This looks like an ordinary shop; but White also had a brewhouse.
511007 Wilson William, Enginegate* HK 12.5 9.75 Ann Young was the real beerhouse keeper and owner. Wilson, a shoemaker, was her son in law. They jointly occupied two houses.
# H = Hagar’s Directory 1849; K = Kelly’s (“Post Office”) Directory 1849; W = Francis White’s Diectory 1851.
For reasons explained elsewhere on this website the new values in R1851 were normally lower than the old values; increases therefore showed an improvement in the premises. The asterisked licensees were owner-occupiers. The names given to the beerhouses were mostly evidenced after 1851.