This page reproduces a pamphlet by R W Goulding with additional comments. The original text is shown in red.
WILLIAM ROBERT EMERIS, M.A., F.S.A., J.P.
Bonum virum facile crederes.
In MR. W. R. EMERIS, who died on the 21st March, 1896, Louth lost one of her oldest and most respected inhabitants, a man of solid understanding and benevolent heart.
This respectful obituary notice reflects Goulding’s gratitude to William Emeris who suggested the production of Goulding’s book Louth Old Corporation Records (1891) and “but for whose kindly and generous support it would not have been attempted”. William Robert Emeris seems to have been one of those pleasant Victorian gentlemen that inherited money and subsequently were not gainfully employed but performed minor public duties. However, in his case the common Victorian pattern in which the eldest son lived a life of leisure and the second son went into the Church was reversed. It was William’s elder brother, the third John Emeris, that became a clergyman. Goulding did not explain this; he may have not dared to ask. Some information about Emeris family finances is given in the appendix.
William Emeris may be of little interest as an individual, but Goulding’s paper does illustrate some features of eighteenth and nineteenth century life that may be unfamiliar to the modern reader.
Goulding begins with the family connections that were the source of the money.
Born in 1817, he came of an ancient Huguenot stock, and, through his grandmother, he represented the ATKINSONS of Fanthorpe Hall. “Members of the Family of Emeris being French Protestants,” says the Rev. David C. A. Agnew, in his Protestant Exiles from France, “fled from St. Bartholomew’s Massacre, and soon after 1572 acquired landed property at Southwood in Norfolk,” where they were long resident. Whether this tradition be accepted or not, it is a fact that the names of Lewis Emery and Paul Emery occur in a list of “aliens born” who became “free denizens of this our kingdom of England” in 1686, Mr. Emeris used to say that his grandfather, the Rev. John Emeris, who was born at Southwood in 1735, was the third of that name who was owner of the estate.
This John Emeris, M.A., received a good classical education at Norwich Grammar School, and at the age of eighteen proceeded to Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, of which College he was elected a Fellow. Subsequently he became Second Master of the Free School at Lincoln, and in 1766 was appointed Master of King Edward VI’s School at Louth, which office he held for thirty years. His wife, Ann Hobman, was the grand-niece of the second David Atkinson of Fanthorpe, who is remembered for his bequest of £600 to provide a salary for the organist of the Parish Church of Louth.
Goulding hints scepticism about the 1572 tradition: Agnew’s book gave no source for the information. However Alumni Cantabrigienses confirms that the first John Emeris (1735-1819) of Southwood, Norfolk was admitted to Corpus Christi College in 1754 and became a fellow in 1759. He was probably ordained at about that time.
In 1768 Emeris improved his prospects greatly by marriage to Ann Hobman (1732-1811), the co-heiress of David Atkinson (1692-1770) of Fanthorpe Hall.11. The other co-heiress (according to General Loft) was Elizabeth Baxter, who in 1770 married John Robinson, later six times Warden of Louth Atkinson had a legal training; he was admitted to Lincoln’s Inn in 1711 and Gray’s Inn in 1717, but may not have qualified as a barrister. He was active in land transactions both for others and on his own account and was six times Warden of Louth.22. For a summary of Atkinson’s work see the Archivist’s Report to Lincolnshire Archives Committee 1954-5 Emeris was Atkinson’s executor.
Goulding does not mention that Emeris became Rector of Tetford in 1779 and continued to hold the rectory until his death.
His son was the Rev. John Emeris, B.D., Rector of Stoughton Parva and Perpetual Curate of Alvingham, who died in 1831, leaving two sons, the elder of whom bore the family name of John, and was for many years Vicar of S. James’s, Gloucester, and afterwards Rector of Upton S. Leonard’s, dying in 1893. The younger son, William Robert, is the subject of this notice.
The second John Emeris (1771-1831) followed a common course for a prospective clergyman. He secured admission to a college with the expectation that he would (provided that he behaved respectably, took his degrees, was ordained as a clergyman and remained unmarried) eventually be elected to a fellowship and then eventually be presented to a rectory or vicarage in the gift of the college. Fellowship did not necessarily require residence in the college and it is clear that Emeris was active in the Louth area in the years around 1800.33. See his friend’s diary: The Diary of the Reverend John Robinson (Douglas Boyce in Lincolnshire History and Archaeology 1994). In the case of John Emeris II progression was not rapid: he entered Corpus Christi College, Oxford in 1789 and it was not until 1806 that he was presented to the rectory of Little Staughton, Bedfordshire, which he held until his death. If he ever lived in this parish, it could not have been for long, since he was licensed as curate of Tathwell in 1814 and appointed perpetual curate of Alvingham and North Cockerington in 1820. In 1815 John Emeris married Elizabeth Grantham, daughter of a north Lincolnshire clergyman. She died in 1849.
When the Rev. John Emeris, M.A., came to Louth, his first residence was in Upgate, in the house which is now used for Mr. H. S. Forman’s business, but, about 1780, he erected the house in Westgate in which he lived for the remainder of his life, and in which he was succeeded by his son and grandson. Prior to his father’s death, the Rev. John Emeris the second lived in Westgate, in the house called the Grove, now occupied by Mrs. Fowler, and it was there that his two sons were born.
At the time when Goulding was writing the building “used for Mr H S Forman’s business” was No 28 Upgate; he probably meant Nos 28 and 30, which combined have the appearance of a substantial house.
The Emeris “house in Westgate” (a listed building “C18, 2-storey house, brick in Dutch bond; hipped roof of Westmorland slate…”) was No 57 at the time when Goulding was writing. (The headmaster’s house at the grammar school was not built until shortly after the first John Emeris retired from the headship.) William Emeris did not give his house a name – unlike his neighbours: in 1889 the first large scale Ordnance Survey map showed the house between Arnold House and The Limes. Later The Limes (in 1904) and the Emeris house (in 1908) became part of the girls’ grammar school and an extension was built to link them.
The other house mentioned by Goulding is The Grove, though other contemporary sources call it Grove House; it is distinguishable today by a blue plaque commemorating James Fowler (1828-1892), the architect, whose widow is referred to by Goulding.
When William Robert was seven years old, he was sent to the Grammar School at Louth, and some six years later he was placed under the sway of Dr. Arnold at Rugby. Subsequently he was admitted a member of Magdalen College, Oxford, taking the degree of Bachelor of Arts in 1838 ; he proceeded M.A. in 1841, and was Fellow of his College 1839-43. One of his college friends was the famous novelist, Charles Reade, and his private tutor was Robert Lowe, afterwards Viscount Sherbrooke.
In Louth he was a very familiar figure, one of the few survivors of his generation. His family motto Emeritus (that is to say, one who has served his time), supplies a word which admirably describes him as he appeared to those who knew him in his latter days, for he was a man of long experience in the wise conduct of life, and the duties of an English country gentleman.
“Country gentleman” seems to be an accurate description of how William Emeris saw himself. After he left his college in 1843, there appears to be no evidence that he ever intended any gainful occupation. The first press reference to him recorded his attendance at the South Wold Hunt Ball in 1842 and there were many similar references. In the 1840s there were more references to his brother, John, who was curate of South Ormsby before moving to Gloucester in 1848.
For upwards of forty years he took an active part in the public life of the town and county, and in his various official capacities he was distinguished for his modesty, sound judgment and painstaking attention to business.
As a country gentleman Emeris was admitted to the Lindsey justices in 1851.44. Chronicle 24.10.1851. As a magistrate the main duty that Emeris had to perform was attendance at the fortnightly petty sessions, which dealt with the great majority of criminal cases, and at quarter sessions, which dealt with more serious cases often involving trial by jury. Quarter sessions were held alternately in Louth and Spilsby and some attendance at Lincoln was also required. So the ability to travel was necessary. Quarter sessions also dealt with some non-criminal matters including certain roads and bridges.
A parliamentary return55. Accounts and Papers vol 50 (1856) showed that in 1852 Lindsey had 551 justices, but only 114 of them were (like Emeris) qualified to act; the remainder mostly just wanted to be able to write “J.P.” after their names. For petty sessions Lindsey was divided into 13 divisions and there were 13 justices usually acting in the Louth division, rather more than were really needed to deal with the business.
Emeris was sworn in as a justice at the quarter sessions held in October 1851, a busy sessions dealing with some appeals, and over 20 cases of theft, one of which led to a sentence of ten years’ transportation. Emeris’ first recorded attendance at petty sessions was in December 1851, when nine justices assembled to deal with nine cases, none of which resulted in a sentence of imprisonment.
The Lindsey magistrates were distinct from the Louth magistrates. The latter had a heavier caseload but only dealt with cases within the borough boundary; and Louth did not have its own quarter sessions. Socially the Lindsey magistrates were regarded as a cut above the borough magistrates.
The other public activities undertaken by Emeris were of a much more intermittent character than his duties as a magistrate. For example in 1871 he was reported as attending meetings as a trustee of Louth Savings Bank, a steward of Louth Town and Country Ball, inaugural chairman of the Louth branch of the Lincolnshire Chamber of Agriculture, subscriber to a convalescent home at Mablethorpe, president of the Louth Athletic Club (his wife presented the prizes) and subscriber to the fund for establishing the Crowtree Lane hospital. In short, he was the sort of useful citizen that could be relied upon to donate to local organisations, attend meetings and, if necessary, make an appropriate speech.
Particularly is this true of his association with the Grammar School, the trustees of which were, until 1878, known as the “Warden and Six Assistants.” His grandfather had been Headmaster for thirty years; his ancestor, David Atkinson, had been Warden six times ; his father had been a scholar of the School ; he himself had for six years received the elements of ” sound learning and religious education ” at the hands of Messrs. Waite and Dale, and it was gratifying to him that he was (in 1854) chosen one of the governing body. Thirty-seven years later he became Warden for the seventh time. This long connection he highly valued, and he looked back to the 4th August, 1868, as one of the notable days of his life, for it was on that day that it fell to his lot, as Warden, to preside at the ceremony of the laying of the foundation stone of the new school-house.
Under a scheme made in 1878 Emeris was a governor of the school for life. The “new school-house” combined with bedehouses for elderly widows was erected in Schoolhouse Lane on the site of the old school buildings.
In 1851 he became a Justice of the Peace for the Parts of Lindsey; in 1867 he was appointed a feoffee of Edward Bolle’s Charity, and from 1882 to 1894 he was Chairman of the Louth and East Coast Railway Company.
Emeris invested in the two railway companies established in the 1870s to construct lines to Lincoln and to Mablethorpe and was a director of both companies. The Louth and Lincoln company was acquired by the Great Northern Railway in 1882 but the other remained a separate company, as mentioned by Goulding. The operation and maintenance of the railway was transferred to the Great Northern Railway in return for 50% of the fares. Accordingly the board meetings had not much business and usually took place half yearly. In financial terms the shares did not constitute a very good investment; Emeris probably recognised this at the outset.
The other major Louth work of public utility in the 1870s was the establishment of piped water. This was strongly debated but there seems to be no record of involvement by Emeris either for or against. Later he invested in the Louth Waterworks Company and became a director.
In 1889 he was returned without opposition to the Lindsey County Council as the first representative of the South Ward of Louth, and two years later he was elected an Alderman, retiring in 1895. In politics he was a Liberal of the old school, but he separated from his party on the Irish question. In matters ecclesiastical he was a consistent Churchman.
When Lindsey County Council was established in 1889 almost half of the councillors were returned unopposed. Aldermen were elected by the councillors. For the period when Emeris was a member the functions of the council were very limited, the most important being supervising the maintenance of some highways and bridges. The council also had a shared responsibility for the pauper lunatic asylum at Bracebridge (Emeris was appointed to the committee of asylum visitors) and for the county police, but the latter did not cover the whole county; for example Louth had its own police force.66. See generally Arthur Wickstead Lincolnshire Lindsey(1978); also Skegness Standard 22 March 1889.
At the time of his death Emeris was a Liberal Unionist. The party was in alliance with the Conservatives. At the general election of 1892 Emeris was one of the nominators of the unsuccessful Conservative candidate for Louth.
In 1850 he married Isabella Barbara, only daughter of the Rev. Robert Gordon, Rector of Scampton, and grand-daughter of the Rev. Geo. Gordon, D.D., Dean of Lincoln.
To judge from press reports Isabella Emeris actively supported her husband’s activities, so far as legal and social restrictions permitted. She played a conventional role in public life, such as:
Saltfleetby All Saints. A bazaar in aid of the fund for restoring the parish church was held on July 28. Mrs Emeris of Louth, who had been a generous contributor to the fund, opened the proceedings…. About 130 sat down to tea, and dancing, &c enlivened the proceedings during the evening. The Louth Artillery band played selections.77. Mercury 5.8.1892.
Mr. Emeris was a zealous antiquary, and he had an extensive knowledge of local and county history, heraldry and genealogy. His library contained many excellent books on these subjects, and he was always willing to place them at the disposal of those who had kindred tastes (as the present writer gratefully acknowledges). At the time of his decease he had been a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London for twenty-seven years.
Emeris may have been zealous but does not seem to have published much. I have only traced one minor contribution to Lincolnshire Notes and Queries. After the death of his widow his library of “about 1000 volumes” was advertised for sale.
Mounted on his grey horse Dawns, he found his principal recreation in hunting. For several years past he had been in declining health, so that the announcement of his death evoked more sorrow than surprise.
Addison said of his ideal country gentleman that he was ” beloved and esteemed by all about him,” and these words exactly express the feelings of a large circle of friends who will long cherish the honoured memory of William Robert Emeris.
R. W. G. 8th April, 1896.
Appendix Emeris Family Finances
John Emeris I
As Headmaster of Louth Grammar School from 1766 the earnings of the first John Emeris were mainly derived from a share in the rental income from certain foundation properties (“King Edward’s Rental”). The corporation accounts (not easy to follow) showed a payment to him of £40 in December 1767 on account of his salary; this probably represented about half the annual sum. However, rents were rising and in 1796, when Emeris resigned from the post, the salary was estimated to be over £140 pa. 88. Mercury 8.4.1796 The rectory of Tetford must have been a good living, since in 1767 on enclosure 309 acres had been allotted in lieu of tithes.99. White’s directory 1842, where the then annual value of the living was estimated to be £450
The extent of the Atkinson property is not known, but it probably included the land held in a family trust until the 1908 sale described below.
John Emeris II
The second John Emeris was the main beneficiary under his father’s will, his mother having died in 1811. His Lincolnshire livings were poor, since the tithes has been appropriated by the Bishop of Lincoln and it is unlikely that his Bedfordshire living amounted to much more. So he must have lived mainly on the income from inherited property.
Frances Emeris (1775-1853)
Frances Emeris was the unmarried sister of John Emeris II. Under her father’s will she received a legacy of £3,000 but there must have been other assets dealt with in family settlements, since her subsequent lifestyle was not that of a spinster living on the interest of £3,000. She probably lived with her father until his death in 1819 and then for a time with her brother but from 1833 she was the owner-occupier of a large house in Crowtree Lane, now the clubhouse of Louth Golf Club. (The house is not listed in R1823 but is in R1838; the valuation against her name in the 1834 poll shows that she was occupying it then; presumably she built it. She had previously been a tenant of Stewton House.)1010. Mercury 7.6.1833.
William Robert Emeris and his Siblings
When John Emeris II died his children were minors. After a life interest to Elizabeth, his wife, the main beneficiary under his will was his eldest son, John III. The second son, William, had a legacy of £5,000, which increased to £7,000 because the only other child, a daughter, died before reaching the age of 21. However, family settlements seem to have operated so as to put the brothers in similar financial positions, at least after the death of their mother in 1849. In 1850 he married the granddaughter of a rich man, George Gordon, a pluralist and the last Dean of Lincoln before ecclesiastical finances were reformed; but there were other members of the Gordon family and it is unlikely that Isabella was an heiress.
It is clear that, by Louth standards, William Emeris was a wealthy man. No doubt his landed income rose when agricultural rents were rising in the third quarter of the nineteenth century and fell in the last quarter, because of the agricultural depression. On the death of Emeris in 1896 his estate was valued for probate at over £22,800 and his will stated that the annual income secured to his wife should be £900. The Return of Owners of Land based on a survey carried out in 1872 showed Emeris owning 205 acres in Lincolnshire with an estimated rental value of £510; but that survey was notoriously inaccurate. On the death of his widow, Isabella, the sale intended to close the family trust showed 423 acres of agricultural land, mainly in the three Saltfleetby parishes.
The comfortable lifestyle of Emeris was demonstrated by his entry in the 1891 census which showed him with a butler, footman and three female domestic servants; his coachman presumably lived elsewhere. However he was not extravagant: in August 1891 Mrs Emeris advertised in the following terms: “Wanted a good Plain Cook. Good references. £20 wages. No kitchenmaid but help when needed.” A more generous employer might have offered the cook an annual wage of £24 plus permanent help in the form of a teenage drudge.
